1 something (such as parsley) added to a dish for flavor or decoration
2 any decoration added as a trimming or adornment
1 take a debtor's wages on legal orders, such as for child support; "His employer garnished his wages in order to pay his debt" [syn: garnishee]
EtymologyFrom Middle English, From Middle French garniss.
- To decorate with ornamental appendages; to set off; to adorn; to embellish; as, all within with flowers was garnished.
- To ornament, as a dish, with something laid about it; as, a dish garnished with parsley.
- To furnish; to
- By his spirit he hath garnished the heavens; his hand hath formed the crooked serpent. (Job 26:13, KJV)
- To fit with fetters.
- To warn by garnishment; to give notice to; to garnishee.
To decorate with ornamental appendages
To furnish; to supply
- Spanish: guarnecer
To fit with fetters
To warn by garnishment
- a set of dishes, often pewter, containing a dozen pieces of several types.
- pewter vessels in
- 1882: The accounts of collegiate and monastic institutions give abundant entries of the price of pewter vessels, called also garnish. — James Edwin Thorold Rogers, A History of Agriculture and Prices in England, Volume 4, p. 478.
- Icelandic: skreyting
Garnish may refer to:
- Garnish, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
- Garnish (fee), a fee paid by a new prisoner to other prisoners upon arrival at a jail
- Garnish (food), a substance used primarily as an embellishment or decoration to a prepared food or drink item
- Cocktail garnish, decorative ornaments that add character or style to a mixed drink
adjunct, adorn, adornment, annex, arrangement, array, attach, beautify, bedeck, bedizen, blazon, collectivize, color, color patterns, commandeer, communalize, communize, confiscate, dandify, deck, deck out, decor, decorate, decoration, distrain, dizen, doll up, dress, dress up, elaboration, embellish, embellishment, emblazon, emblazonment, emblazonry, embroider, embroidery, enrich, expropriate, fig out, fix up, flourish, flower arrangement, furbish, furniture arrangement, garnishment, garniture, grace, gussy up, illumination, impound, impress, levy, nationalize, ornament, ornamentation, paint, prank, prank up, preen, press, prettify, primp, primp up, prink, prink up, redecorate, redo, refurbish, replevin, replevy, sequester, sequestrate, set off, set out, smarten, smarten up, socialize, spruce up, titivate, trick out, trick up, trim, trimming, window dressing